[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Erduk.com • View topic - I learned lots of things from the mini lesson

I learned lots of things from the mini lesson

This is where Jason's ICC students should submit their sixth ODB assignment posts. (Deadline 7/9, 6:29pm)

I learned lots of things from the mini lesson

Postby icc kimssem » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:42 pm

I think the purpose of teaching culture in English is letting the students recognize the difference of the culture of other countries. We dealt with three kinds of culture materials such as source, target and international target. The first micro teaching material was source. They taught us ‘Playing Yut’ which is a Korean traditional board game. It is very familiar to us, so we understood it easily. It was a good example of introducing Korean cultures to foreigner when we meet foreigner. One thing I wondered is the terms of the game. Do we have to translate “Mal, Mal pan…” into a “Marker, board…” For the learning English “yes” but for the culture itself, I’m not sure. Next lecture was target material. We have experienced St. Patrick’s Day. They prepared whole bunch of green things as a material so that it helped us understand the holiday. We really enjoyed the activity. As a student, I could learn about the St. Patrick’s Day. Last one was international target that we taught. The rainstick was a good culture material to teach. We have talked about the orign of rainstick and then we made our own rainstick and played it. I think making rainstick is a good Knowing how activity if we have enough time. And students really enjoy it. But we should’ve given the students more chances to use English when we do this activity.
Actually while I participate this mini lesson assignment, I have thought that teaching culture is a content-based technique. Every culture (source, target and international target) are all good contents for learners and dealing with the culture is a good way to realize the difference of other countries' culture
icc kimssem

Return to ODB 6